0.4×0.5 mm Press-fit pins – saving space and money solution for lighting electronics and more
Over the past 10 years, 0.4×0.5 mm press-fit pin has become one of the most in-demand products in SM Contact portfolio. The company supplies around 100 million pins of this type per year. This small eye-of-the-needle (EON) terminal is in wide demand in the automotive industry, especially in lighting electronics, because it’s cost-effective and space-saving. It is designed to replace soldered parts on printed circuit boards (PCB) and connectors.
Advantages of 0.4×0.5 mm press-fit pins:
– qualified in accordance with IEC 60352-5, Press-in connections (report available on request);
It proved to have required contact resistance (< 0.5 mΩ), no cracks, acceptable deformations and resistance to rapid temperature changes and climate sequences.
– small size of the pin affects the price downwards;
0.4×0.5 mm Press-fit pin’s reduced cost is based on its manufacturing process. It is a drawn-wire product with no-waste of raw material, and offers a high level of customization without non-returnable investment of any kind.
– suitable for Nano MQS connector family;
– small pin size and distance between inserted pins allows for use in compact spaces, which is very important in the automotive industry.
Characteristics and requirements:
– press-in force – less than 60 N, average 42 N;
– push-out force – more than 50 N, average 73 N;
– recommended PCB hole for insertion – Ø 0.6 mm;
– hole pitch 1.6 mm (compare with standard 0.6 mm pin pitch in 2/2.5 mm) – can be wider on request;
– pin material CuNiSi – K55, hardened copper alloy with excellent spring properties and good corrosion resistance. It combines medium electrical conductivity with high strength and good relaxation behaviour.
Pins are supplied in plastic reels in end-to-end format. Reels are compact (Ø 800 mm), easy to change and rechargeable. Each contains approximately 200 000 pins. End-to-end format means you don’t have to waste extra material.
Pin insertion equipment
Assembly of 0.4×0.5 mm press-fit terminals to PCB can be efficiently accomplished with SM Contact insertion equipment and a custom-designed insertion head. Pininsert machines can feed, cut and insert a single pin in full automatic mode, with a tack time around up to 0.3 sec per pin.
|Pininsert 2100 and Pininsert 2100 XL||Pininsert 3200|
|Semi-automatic pin insertion into the PCB. Stand-alone or inline machine for small and medium production volumes (up to 3 600 pins per hour).||Conveyor version of high-volume semi-automatic pin insertion into PCB.|
0.4×0.5 mm press-fit pins offer various ways to process shape modifications as necessary. It’s possible to perform electrical connections at 90 degrees in order to optimise spaces. Bending module can be:
– stand-alone or integrated into the machine,
– with conveyor or manual loading of PCB.
Bending of pins can be performed either before or after insertion into PCB:
|Bending before insertion||Bending after insertion|
In addition to 0.4×0.5 mm, the following press-fit pins have been in production at SM Contact for over a decade:
0.6 x 1 mm,
0.63 x 0.63 mm,
0.6 x 1.2 mm,
0.8 x 1.4 mm.
Please send requests to SM Contact team email@example.com